For those that love a lower impact workout, a holistic fitness class offers a great full body workout, crammed with plenty of added benefits.
Holistic classes focus on relaxation, reducing tension and breathing techniques to offer a workout with an added dose of wellness. It's a workout not just for the body, but also for the mind, and should see you leaving the studio feeling cool, calm and collected.
The health benefits of a holistic class go way beyond the toning and strengthening results you'll gain from many other fitness classes. You'll get them too, plus a bumper crop of other wellness-boosting effects...
- Speed up circulation. Studies show that regular yoga practice can help regulate blood pressure.
- Great for the gut. Getting the blood pumping, coupled with the massaging effect of surrounding muscles speeds up a sluggish digestion.
- Get set to flex. Throughout a yoga class or pilates class, joints are moved through their full range of motion, which encourages mobility and eases pressure. The gentle stretching releases muscle and joint tension, whilst increasing flexibility. It's a great workout choice for those with lower back pain or stiff joints.
- Calm those nerves. Improved blood circulation, easing of the muscles and focusing the mind on breathing all combine to soothe the nervous system. A great way to reduce stress, anxiety and fatigue.
- Perfect that posture. Regular stretching of the spine and controlled movements will help you to stand correctly, taking pressure off the neck and back. Plus, great posture will make you look taller and slimmer!
- Aid injury. Low impact exercises are great for those rehabilitating muscle imbalances or injuries. The slow movements prevent the body from moving too quickly, whilst allowing all core muscles to be worked.
- Improve balance. Classes such as Tai Chi and BodyBalance are a great way to work on your physical co-ordination, improving your balance and core strength.
- Better breathing. All that breath control will help to increase lung capacity and improve air circulation. You may find you'll start to sleep much better too! Correct breathing technique has been shown to help you nod off much quicker.
- Find your flow. The deep breathing techniques used in Yoga, Tai Chi and Pilates will leave you with a burst of energy.
- Feel stronger. Make no mistake, a "gentle workout" does not mean there'll be no transformational perks. You'll build muscle through regular BodyBalance or Tai Chi, thanks to manouvres which engage the core, back, and arm and leg muscles.
So if you're looking for a fitness class that offers wellness for the mind, as well as the body, try a little holistic fitness.
Book your holistic class online via the member's area or find out more about our range of studio fitness classes.