Unless you've been hiding under a rock for a while, we're all fully aware of our need for five a day on the fruit and veggies, plus the importance of portion control.
Though in the current climate, with isolation keeping us locked up at home, and supermarkets having to restrict how much fresh produce we can buy, it can be tough to maintain a healthy diet. Working from home can lead us to snack more often than we would in the office, and being more sedentary than we'd usually like can easily pile on the pounds.
We've spoken to many members who are baffled by their slow weight loss efforts when they believe their diet is super saintly.
Eating healthy options is a great start, though without portion control, you could easily find yourself overfilling your plate with excess calories... healthy stuff or not.
So, we've outlined exactly what a portion looks like, to help you plan your meals around those home based workouts...
Portions per day: 3 – 5
1 portion = 80g (amount you can hold in the palm of your hand)
- 2 spears / florets of broccoli or cauliflower
- 1 carrot
- 2 tablespoons of mixed vegetables and salad
- 5 cherry tomatoes
Portions per day: 2 - 3
1 portion = 80g (size of a tennis ball)
- 1 medium-sized apple, pear, peach or banana
- 2 plums, kiwi fruits or satsumas
- 8-10 strawberries
- 12-16 grapes
- 3 tablespoons of tinned fruit
- 1 medium glass of fruit juice
Grains and Potatoes
Portions per day: 1 - 3
1 portion = the size of your clenched fist
- 2 slices wholegrain bread (60g)
- 1 60g roll/bagel/wrap
- 5 tablespoons of pasta or rice (180g)
- 1 50g bowl of breakfast cereal
- 1 fist sized potato, sweet potato or yam (150g)
Portions per day: 1 - 3
1 portion = 200ml milk
- 1 200ml glass of milk (dairy or calcium-fortified soya milk)
- 40g cheese (the size of 4 dice)
- 60g tofu (the size of 4 dice)
- 1 150ml pot of yoghurt/fromage frais
Portions per day: 3 - 5
1 portion = size of a deck of cards (70g)
- 3 slices of lean meat
- 1 fillet of chicken (115-140g)
- 1 fillet of fish (115-140g)
- 2 medium eggs
- 5 tablespoons of lentils/beans
- 1 tofu/soya burger or sausage
Healthy fats and oils
Portions per day: 1 – 2
1 portion = 1 tablespoon
- 2 tablespoons (25g) nuts and seeds
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) seed oils, nut oils
- Half an avocado
- 140g oily fish
By keeping your portions sensible, you'll be able to keep your eating plan lean during lockdown, despite the current restrictions on fresh foods. In fact, eating less than you think you should be, will in fact make that lockdown stockpile last a little longer... Win!