Grab those barbells and let’s get bodypumpin'!
Our popular BodyPump™ fitness class by Les Mills is the perfect workout for anyone keen to get lean! BodyPump by Les Mills is a full-body barbell workout that has been hailed one of the hottest ways to tone and tighten with scientifically-backed techniques.
Using a variety of weights and plenty of repetition, our BodyPump™ group fitness class can blitz up to 540 calories, ideal for those on a weight loss quest. Designed to “shape and tone muscles while raising metabolic rate for rapid fat-burning,” Body Pump is supposed to be proven to be “the world’s fastest way to get in shape.”
Whether you're just getting started on a weight loss journey, or have hit a plateau and need to inject some fire into your fitness plan, BodyPump is a great way to sculpt and slim the body.
A Full-Body Workout You'll Love
A group fitness class like Les Mills BodyPump feels more like fun than a workout. You're surrounded by your gym buddies, workout out to the latest motivational beats and on your way to a sleeker physique. What's not to love about that!
The Rep Effect
BodyPump features what's knows as the 'Rep Effect', a proven formula to develop lean, athletic muscle. Increasing this muscle mass will help your body to burn more calories, therefore reducing your waistline.
"I love Edinburgh BodyPump classes. I can tell I've had a really good toning session, and I've noticed an improvement in my upper body and glutes." (Village Gym BodyPump Fan)
Shape and Tone The Muscles
If you're hitting the treadmill or cross trainer in a bid to lose weight, you'll certainly torch calories, though it will take longer to see physical changes.
As our BodyPump class works the whole body, you'll see a visible change in your physique, with righter abs, more toned arms and a trimmer waist. Once you see the weight loss results, you'll be more motivated to keep at it.
"My abs are finally showing! Once you've lost that top layer of body fat, the toning exercises from BodyPump really start to show through. I do cardio and strength sessions in the gym to burn cals and BodyPump to tone up the flabby bits!" (Village Gym BodyPump Fan)
Up Your Cardio Game
By increasing your cardio fitness, you strengthen your body's stamina, allowing you to workout for longer and at a higher intensity. The harder you work, the more fat you'll torch.
The intensive exercises in our BodyPump classes, combined with repetitive movements will get your heart pumping, improving your endurance and maximising weight loss results.
"I used to keel over after a thirty-minute fitness class! Since I've started doing regular BodyPump sessions, I can tell I'm much fitter. I can breathe better, and work out for longer, so I'm burning more calories in one thirty minute session than I did before." (Village Gym BodyPump Fan)
Max the Metabolism
Resistance training with weights is a great calorie burner and excellent way to build muscle. As muscles repair from the workouts your body’s metabolism is increased. This means that calories are burned by BodyPump at an increased rate long after you finish your Body Pump class.
With increased muscle mass, you'll use more energy, resulting in a greater rate of weight loss.
What To Expect from Les Mills BodyPump Class
"Try to arrive 10 minutes before the published start times. Then you can pick out a spot in the studio that allows you to stand close to the instructor, and preferably the mirror in order to check your form throughout the class."
Tell Us You're New
"Make a point of speaking to your BodyPump instructor to let them know you are new and that it’s your first time doing the class. This is for support. We will be able to ensure you are looked after and even paired with an experienced fellow member."
Don't Punch Above Your Weight
"Follow the weight recommendations from your Village Gym instructor. We all tend to have our own ideas of how strong we are, and most of us have a tendency to overestimate our own strength, so sticking to the recommended weights is key to having an enjoyable first class."
"Our BodyPump class is a high-energy, full-body workout. So be prepared to sweat, perform lots of reps. High repetitions and low weight will help you to build lean muscle, which will keep your body burning off excess fatty deposits during and after the class."
Bring A Buddy!
"Bring a friend to your BodyPump class with you, either a fellow member or a non-member with a one-day pass. Working out with a friend helps overcome any fears about the class. You feel more supported and having your bestie there can make the experience more enjoyable."
TYPICAL BODYPUMP EXERCISES
- SIDE ROTATOR RAISE – Holding a weight plate in each hand and positioning the elbows at a 90° angle, the arms are first raised outwards to the side, before rotating through the shoulder and being lifted up to the front to shoulder height. This is a great move to tone arms and shoulders.
- DEAD LIFT - A classic weightlifting move. The barbell is held in front of the body and the hips are tipped backwards whilst the barbell is lowered down close to the legs, before then returning to the start position. This move is great for building strength in both the back and legs.
- TRICEP EXTENSIONS – Holding a single weight plate with both hands, arms are extended above the head, before being lowered behind the head so that the elbows are at a 90° angle. This is a fantastic move for isolating and toning the muscles in the back of the upper arms.
- DEAD ROW – This move starts with holding the barbell in the deadlift position. Then elbows are pulled back to bring the barbell up to your ribs. The dead row works the muscles of the arms, legs and back.
- SIDE RAISE – In this move, weight plates are held in hand, rather than the barbell. Elbows are held at 90° angles and the arms are then raised out sideways to shoulder height, keeping the wrists straight. The side raise works the deltoids, the muscles on the outside of your shoulders.
- CLEAN AND PRESS – This compound movement works several muscles including the shoulders, back, arms, legs and abdominals. The barbell is held close, in front of the body before being lifted to shoulder height whilst in a squat position and then being lifted above the head with the arms extended.
- SQUAT – This is a traditional squat exercise, combined with the additional weight of the barbell being held across the upper back. This exercise helps strengthen the quads, hamstrings, glutes and calves.
Not only will these killer moves combine to offer a workout for all major muscle groups, but the fat-burning benefits will continue long after your class is over.
Are you ready to BodyPump? Book your BodyPump class online.